The building of the Hotel-Restaurant "Aux Tanneries de Wiltz" is a central element of the cultural heritage of the city of Wiltz and the north of the Grand Duchy. Built in 1735, during the Austrian period, its walls have witnessed leather production for almost 200 years. Leatherworking in the workshops along the river Wiltz dates back to the 16th century.
In 1868, there were 28 tanneries in town, two of which survived into the second half of the 20th century. After the First World War, most of the small factories ceased production and the building of the present hotel, which was initially converted into a garage for trucks, was gradually abandoned.
Today all this belongs to history. Wiltz has seen the development of other sectors, such as the tertiary sector and culture, but its population keeps the memory of its ancestors alive, to think of the harsh conditions they faced in their daily work, or to commemorate their opposition to the occupier during the Second World War.
In 1994, Henri Roemer, a native of Wiltz, undertook an ambitious renovation project in order to reawaken the potential and soul of this old building. The architect has preserved the exterior aspect of the old ruined buildings to recreate a harmonious ensemble facing the river and centered around the real heart of the hotel: its restaurant. It has all the charm of the old tanneries that its vaulted stone walls once housed.
In 2009, the hotel was extended with an annex to increase the hotel's capacity and offer modern service and reception. A swimming pool, a sauna, and hammam as well as a fitness center complete the offer for our guests.
After 26 years of work, Henri passes the torch to his son Charles who, having grown up with this project, shares the awareness of the need to preserve and develop this jewel of local heritage.